login   |    register

Scale Modeling Sponsors

See Your Ad Here!

  • move

Originally published on:
RailRoad Modeling

Erecting einer Einheitslok: Built BR 86

  • move
  • move
  • move
  • move
Les Rogers [LESROGERS] has been busy Down Under with another top-notch model build! Les carted a big Trumpeter 1/35 kit into his erecting hall and rolled out a marvelous DRG Class 86 BR86 Dampflokomotive!
Onto the erecting floor
This was a straight out of the box build of this model. There are a number of aftermarket products available but this escalates the price and after building the BR 52 with some additional items I am not truly convinced they improve the overall appearance of a static model.

I was concerned that because these side mouldings were so long it would be wise to glue them when I was sure they were perfectly straight. So they were clamped to a spirit levels straight edge. I was happy when the glue set and the frame was true. The great delight in building these types of models is that you are starting from a low base. Similar to building a boat on bulkhead or even ribs. You could image that this was how it happened in the rail workshop. I undercoated with red primer to ensure all parts will get a covering. It is a good base as it gives some parts of age and rust when fully assembled.

The parts required to get to the final part of this stage of the build according to the instructions were added and then a first coat of Tamiya X1 was applied. The one point I would like to make for future builders is to check each join for fit. By this I mean where rods go into holes and square and rectangular pieces go into recesses. I had to drill out all holes and enlarge recesses to make parts fit. The tolerances were too tight. It is a difficult job after in some places. The general fit of most parts is excellent.

I started on the boiler and main part of the engine. As there are so many fiddly parts that don`t take kindly to handling I built a timber stand that would help with that problem. I placed it on a turn table which also helped.

The cabin has a lot of detail and looks good but it will be mostly covered up when the sides and roof go on. Kit does not have dial detail and you have to make that yourself. Look’s silly without this detail. Trumpeter did not do any glass for the riding lights so I used some port holes from a boat model.
Some build observations
Trumpeter has relied on too many joins to be made by the 90 degree butt system. I have used some sections of Evergreen plastic to reinforce the joins and give some strength to the structure. As I have mentioned before make sure you drill all holes and widen all slots before attempting to glue as I found the tolerances too tight.

It is a difficult model to handle so I made another jig to do the underside. The idea is to hold the engine tight by going through the funnel to the base of the boiler and the coal.

A little weathering and the addition of decals and a bit of early graffiti courtesy of some rail yard employees feeling a bit patriotic. Hope you enjoyed the build and put it on your to-do list.
  • move
  • move
  • move
  • move
  • move
  • move
  • move
  • move
  • move
  • move
  • move
  • move
  • move
  • move
  • move
  • move
  • move
  • move
  • move
  • move
  • move
  • move
  • move
  • move
  • move
  • move
  • move
  • move
  • move
  • move
  • move
  • move
  • move
  • move
  • move
  • move
  • move
  • move
  • move
  • move
READ COUNT: 4891  |  Printer friendly page PRINT  |  Discuss This DISCUSS THIS

About Leslie G Rogers (lesrogers)
FROM: NEW SOUTH WALES, AUSTRALIA

Started marine company called Jolly Roger Marine. Importers of all hardware for pleasure boats. Had Boat yard and slips servicing all boating needs. Retired now have built many period wooden sailing ships and the odd plastic model. Live in a habour town on the Pacific Coast which is sub tropical. Ha...