Jesper, I've been looking forward to this one and it's good to see it started.
This project has a lot of details that are up in the air. I've got a general idea on how I want to go but those plans might have to be tweaked, or changed completely, dependign on how these core kits build up.
So we look at the Trike kit. I'm not sure how old this kit is...there was no year stamped on the sprues. Scalemates says it was released in '91, though that might be a reissue date. The kit is pretty vintage-ish...it has 15 pieces. The mouth has no detailing...even a tongue would be nice. The parts show their age. The edges are "tired" looking and will need some clean-up. The detail isn't bad.
Every great journey begins with a single step...so says the old saying. To take that first step you have to have legs, so we'll start with the front legs. Test-fitting showed the need for a good bit of clean-up, mainly heavy seams. I did sand the edges to clean them up as much as possible. This really helped minimize the gaps.
I used tube glue for these pieces. I clamped them and put them to the side to set up properly. I knew I'd probably need the hobby vices for the rear legs. Even with the prep-work, there were some nasty seams that will require attention.
Rear legs. Same clean-up issues as the front ones. After clean up, I clamped the rear legs in the hobby vices. Again, I used tube glue.
Body time. More clean up. I used rubber bands to clamp it. As with the rest, this is going to require a lot of seam work.
The head was a two piece deal. The lower head/jaw is part of the body. Detail looks good, especially the face. It's going to nee a good bit of clean up though. I decided to leave the horns off for now. It should make clean up and adding it's tack easier. I might give it armor and maybe dress up the horns a bit.
The sub-assemblies dry. Clean up on the seams is pretty bad. It'll take some time. I used super glue to fill seams and lots of sanding sticks and file work. I'm actually pretty happy with the clean-up job. I had to re-scribe in some skin detail, like wrinkles.
I decided to open up the Raptors and at least build one. I really need to make sure they are large enough to serve as a mount.
This kit looks newer. What Tamiya did was put two identical sprues of three Raptors. There are extra legs and this allows the second trio to be built up a little differently...it's a multipose set.
I began work on Raptor #1. There's a lot at stake on this with the size working out. Again, each looks to be pretty simplistic. Connection points aren't badly placed. In my case, the riders and their tack should help cover and damage. I'm writing their numbers on the underside of their stands.
Raptor #1 built up and posed next to a German figure. As expected, the male figure is a bit too large. So now the money is on the female riders.
I hadn't opened or assembled any of the Pin-Up figures yet so I dipped in to my figures for some. I even threw in a Dragon horse and rider in for comparison purposes. I think I should be good for the female riders.
I spent most of the evening cleaning the Trike up. I did take breaks to start removing the Raptors and separating their parts. I did go ahead and fit their talons to their feet.
In general, the multipose should work out and not appear that there are copies. The exceptions are Raptors #2 and #6. They share the same body and are looking back. In my case they would both be looking back at their rider. The detail on the neck is actually quite nice. I'll probably leave one like that, but will modify the other. I'll probably just re-work him to be looking to the side.
I'll be giving each raptor a saddle and bridle. I'm looking at a set up like an ostrich rider. I'll probably will also add feathers. I think it'll given them a degree of individuality as well as make them look more tribal. How the women are armed will depend on if the Romans are included.
I'm still playing around with some ideas. My next plan is to work on the Trike and see if the Roman rider idea is workable. If not, I might have the ladies hunting the Trike. And, in keeping with the sci-fi aspect, there might be some unexpected folks watching. Maybe interstellar big game hunters, scientists, or crash landed explorers. There's lots of options on how this thing can go.