Here is what I've come up with for the bamboo -
I found some 3/64 Plastruct rod at my LHS. This is some type of butyl plastic covering a steel rod so it is rigid but bendable . After searching for photo etch brass leaves approximating bamboo and finding none I looked into producing my own but it looked pretty expensive. I settled on this fern offered by The Scenic Factory intended for making pine trees.
I next filed one end of the Plastruct rod to a taper -
and then laid off 1/4 " increments along the stalk -
I then scored through the plastic by rolling the rod under a knife on a glass plate to produce the nodes -
Let me state that I don't pretend to know much about botany/agriculture . I have been told by gardeners that I couldn't grow mold on old bread in a damp basement and I agree with their assessment . I vaguely recall some of my pals getting involved with trying to grow a certain type of plant during my brief stint in college during the early seventies - but the memory is very foggy for some reason.
The stalk was then cut to length and sprayed dessert yellow -
then brush painted with artist's oils Sap Green and the wiped of with a small stiff brush-
Working from images of bamboo found on the net leaves were cut from the fern and glued to the stalk with PVA . when dry I went over all joins with a dilute mixture of acrylic matte medium with a drop of Dawn dish detergent added to ease the surface tension. I then lightly airbrushed the leaf matter with yellow.
Here is the finished product set in one of the groundwork studies -
all that remains is to do this again about twenty times -
- and then decide if I like it .
Thanks for looking in and Happy New Year to all ! - Richard